bookafied

Omensetter's Luck
William H. Gass
Swann's Way
Marcel Proust, Lydia Davis
A Naked Singularity (Paper)
Sergio De La Pava
Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self
Claire Tomalin
Maps and Legends
Michael Chabon
More Baths, Less Talking - Nick Hornby Nick Hornby writes a column on and off, 'Stuff I've Been Reading", for The Believer magazine, and this is another book in a series collecting those columns.
Each month the column starts with the list of books bought the past month, and the list of books read.
They don't often overlap. And the former list is invariably longer than the latter. So already I know I like this guy. He too has problems controlling his book buying. (I wonder what the bibliophile equivalent of 'my eyes are bigger than my belly' is...)
And then he just chats. About the books he read, maybe why he chose that particular one, possibly telling us how it fit into his life at that moment, what he liked about it, maybe about how it inspired him for something, or not. This is what makes the columns interesting -- he is writing about that interface between him and the reading of the book.
He's funny, affable, intelligent, well read, and not pretentious.
Of course, the drawback or side effect of reading such a book is that now my own TBR list has needlessly but predictably grown yet longer.
Like I needed that.